Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wasting Youth

You've heard the saying that youth is wasted on the young? I used to think that was one of the stupidest things I'd ever heard. Why couldn't young people handle youth? It's not like it's that hard to be young...at least I never thought so.

Aha! I think I just discovered the folly of my thoughts. Of course I never thought so. When do we ever take a step back and wonder if our thoughts are the smartest thoughts we could have? Not me. And now I realize that my youth was wasted on my young years...the years I didn't take care of myself . The years I coasted through without realizing or taking advantage of my potential. The years I didn't even know I HAD a potential.

Let me take a sidebar here. Discovering the folly of my thoughts reminded me that I wanted to change the name of my blog...again. The new Name - Sidetracked - just seems to fit better. I know I'm easily sidetracked. I know I sometimes flit from one subject to another...sometimes without warning. But, really, in my defense I ALWAYS come back to the original subject. Just hang on and keep up. Simple. What's not simple is I still can't get it to change names. The forces, fates, must like th original name. I thought briefly that perhaps God wants me to keep this name and that's why it's not working when I attempt the change. However, I can't imagine God being remotely caring about what the name of my blog is...as long as I don't say anything to embarrass Him and those who know me know the odds are pretty much against me there.

Back to youth. I would love to be this smart and 20 years old. What I could do with my life! for one thing, I'd get my art degree. I know I can still do that. I might not be the OLDEST person in class - real close, I know, but not the oldest - but I bet I'd be the most appreciative, the most enthusiastic, even though probably not the most talented.

I'd realize that this body wouldn't stay young forever and would quit abusing it way earlier. At least early enough to not have things falling apart on a seemingly daily basis. I'm not liking what the doctors are telling me these days. Until I accidently get a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I forget how old I am most of the time. Even when I've overdone it and am having a bit of trouble getting around that night. I'm really not this old!!! Except when I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment