Monday, February 23, 2009

Just Pee on it and Walk Away

Stress. I've always thrived on stress. Give me a deadline, I'll take it right down to the nail-biting wire. Schedule the Dips to come over for game night. I'll wait until the last minute to get my house cleaned. Invite friends over for dinner and I'll still be frantically running around the kitchen when they arrive instead of waiting graciously with cocktails in hand to join them in a witty repartee before I smoothly slip dinner out of the oven and gracefully slide it onto the beautifully decorated table. during the years I wrote my newspaper column, I quite often slid into a deadline like a skier spraying a blanket of snow over the person he shooshes to a stop in front of. Except my skies would spray a blanket of extra seconds before deadline. Too many times I wasn't quite so graceful and tripped and fell, rolling, tumbling, somersaulting right over the deadline and landing halfway down the hill, covered in my own negative moments.

But stress. Bring it on. I can take all you can give and more. Husband needing emergency quint by-pass surgery? Pow! Daughter has a brain tumor? Pow! Pow! This daughter with blow up in your face emotional issues? Pow! That daughter with an entirely different set of issues blowing up? Pow! Husband now with liver disease from diabetes complications. Pow! Now needs liver transplant! Pow! Pow! My chronically swollen foot diagnosed with some bone deteriorating disease...pow? Best case scenario - long recovery in a wheelchair...worst case - lose the leg...p...o...w?

Ok. take 10 seconds and panic and feel sorry for yourself. That's enough. Someone sent me an email once that talked about stress and I thought it was the best solution I'd ever heard. When you're getting overwhelmed, starting to lose your focus, starting to shrink into yourself, just handle stress like a dog - if you can't eat it or play with it...just pee on it and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment