Friday, March 6, 2009

If I can't be a surgeon, I'll be an artist

Lately I have considered myself to be one of the luckiest persons alive. Why, you might ask? Because I am an artist. That may not be a big deal to you, but it is to me. There's been alot of years when I just wasn't sure what my "calling" is. I spent quite a few years as a substitute teacher and was actually very good at it. But it wasn't something I planned for, worked toward, dreamed of. I kinda fell into it and accidentally found I was good with middle school kids and I could teach a lesson, and even make most of them pay attention while I taught it.

I also did long term assignments which meant keeping track of about 120 kids and their grades, homework, discipline and parent/teacher conferences (Those were not my favorite. There's just not a tactful way to tell a parent that their little dumplin' is an idiot who would rather examine stuff he/she pulled out of his/her ear than do the classwork assignment and perhaps they ought not worry about adding to that college fund, turning it instead into a bail fund account.)

BUT...the art side of me has always hovered near the surface. About a year ago I joined an art organization, entered some shows and began taking some lessons to improve a technique or explore a style. As I talked about wanting to go back to school and get my art degree, I was told by several artists that I didn't need to get a degree unless I wanted to teach, that I had the talent and just needed to bring it out. Still, just because you decide you want to be a surgeon and can pull all the body parts out of the game Operation in record time, doesn't mean you can own your own scalpel (and use it). My criteria for being able to say, "I'm an artist" has hinged on being able to sell any of my paintings.

Well, I have! And I'm going to be hung in a new restaurant! And I have two commission for pieces!
So, guess what?!? I'm an artist! Still, that statement and $2 will get me a venti green ginger tea at Starbucks (with two Splendas, thank you). If I want to continue my venti green ginger tea (with two Splendas, thank you) habit, I need to continue to sell paintings, which means I need to produce paintings which means I probably don't have time to mop floors or take the trash out much less cook dinner.

If you need me, I'll be in my studio (back of the house, used to be a spare bedroom) Come on in, visit, hang out, just don't get in my light. We artists are fussy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment